Sunday 3 April 2016

Star Log Entry 4: 5 years on at Oxfam Bookshop... first day

It's been 5 years since I stepped foot in Oxfam Bookshop in Bloomsbury for my first day of volunteering and it sometimes does feel like a surreal experience. There's been so many things that I have experienced during my journey at the bookshop from being challenged to read all the Terry Pratchett's Discworld series up to the 2011 within a year to creating 1000 cranes to finding my first job. There has been nothing compared to the life-long friends with the volunteers and customers who've touched me with their compassion and love, and this came on my first day when I met a group of unique individuals that became family instantly.
On Sunday 3rd April 2016, I stood outside the bookshop waiting for the bookshop to open up. Ruesharn, a gentleman (ahem!) with fine taste in clothing with a distinct class glasses, came running up and opened up the store. Gradually the volunteers, Yili and Donna, started to come in and their personalities started to flood in as well.

Ruesharn was like the leader of the pack and had worldly views in a myriad of topics. Yili was silent but deadly with her business and economic finesse, and an eye for detail in photography. Donna was the visionary and she always gave 110% in what she does. Lesley, who I sadly lost in touch with, actually started on the day before and was forthright in the way she does things.

They all helped me on the go-get in showing me carry out different tasks. Even though I did very little during the day, it was tiring and very rewarding work. Ruesharn, Yili and Donna are people I hold dearly as they have helped me through so much through the past years during good times and bad times. They are friends that I can rely on as they have my back, and that is why I will do anything in the world for them if they asked.

Do you have any friends that you consider family?

No comments:

Post a Comment